Microphone stopped working after installing pavucontrol Arch

All we need is an easy explanation of the problem, so here it is.

I have been using Arch for quite some time now and the microphone used to work perfectly. But yesterday, I installed pavucontrol and suddenly the mic stopped working, i.e. no audio is picked up even though the mic is recognised by PulseAudio.
I have ALSA installed as well.
Here are some relevant info:

arecord -l                  
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC236 Analog [ALC236 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any help is appreciated 🙂
Edit: Sorry if it wasn’t clear enough. PulseAudio was already installed a long time ago, the output and input worked perfectly. But yesterday, when I installed pavucontrol, the mic stopped recording audio (I found out from a call) but it is recognised as an input device.
Here’s a screenshot of input devices from pavucontrol:
Microphone stopped working after installing pavucontrol Arch

How to solve :

I know you bored from this bug, So we are here to help you! Take a deep breath and look at the explanation of your problem. We have many solutions to this problem, But we recommend you to use the first method because it is tested & true method that will 100% work for you.

Method 1

Partial answer, based on the information in the question so far:

If you have Pulseaudio running, Pulseaudio starts using all the ALSA hw devices, and you cannot use arecord directly on an ALSA device anymore. If you not only installed pavucontrol, but all of Pulseaudio, that would explain why it suddenly stopped working.

So use parecord instead of arecord, or use arecord on the pulse ALSA compatibility device instead of dsnoop or whatever you have in your ALSA configuration (I recommend changing your ALSA configuration to make pulse the default device), and use pavucontrol to ensure arecord points at the right source.

Note: Use and implement method 1 because this method fully tested our system.
Thank you 🙂

All methods was sourced from stackoverflow.com or stackexchange.com, is licensed under cc by-sa 2.5, cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0

Leave a Reply